‘Organic’ is a rather odd name since all food is organic, meaning that it’s made from living things. But it seems to have stuck. Organic farming is called ‘biological farming’ in some countries. Then there’s biodynamic farming and permaculture. All these slightly different types or farming are sustainable which is the most important thing to remember. Confusing, isn’t it!
What’s so great about organic food?
- America’s appetite for organic produce is so strong that supple can’t keep up with demand.
- Studies show that organic milk has 60 to 80 percent more nutrients than conventional milk in the summer, and 50 to 60 percent more in the winter.
- Organic milk also has higher levels of vitamin E.
- Organic cheese can have up to twice as many nutrients as conventional varieties.
- Organic tomatoes, wheat, potato, cabbage and onion have 20 to 40 percent more antioxidants than conventional fruit and vegetable.
- For organic agricultural produce, the organic label assures that the foods were grown without the use of toxins like pesticides and fertilizers.
- According to PETA, “naturally” is virtually a meaningless word when labeled on meat packaging. It does not mean that products is organic, rather is free of artificial ingredients or added coloring.
- When you buy organic food, you support farming which is sustainable. Because no hazardous chemicals are used, farmers don’t get contaminated and nor do their families.
- A study from Washington State University (US) shows that organic food makes better business sense as well as being better tasting and kinder to the planet.
- Organic farming is friendly to our planet and the wonderful diversity of living things on it (often called biodiversity)
Blog contributed by Akanksha Khurana, Class XII, New Delhi
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Jeevanksh.com is committed to improve the livelihood of small & marginal organic farmers. We have tie-up with NGOs/farmer communities/manufacturers to supply us products produced locally. We practice fair trade, to help the farmers live a sustainable life and get the true value of their produce. We take utmost care to check and maintain the quality of the products available in our store.
Visit us to be a part of the growing community of health and environment conscious people.